293 - Amlan Mohanty
Amlan Mohanty is a tech lawyer and policy analyst based in Bangalore, India. He helps people solve complex problems and unlock strategic opportunities.
His other interests include food, philosophy and the creative arts. You can see what he is writing, reading and thinking about on his website.
Amlan has worked remotely for a majority of his career as a result of various circumstances (the COVID pandemic, and back in 2016 when his father had a terminal illness). He has designed his workspace to be cosy, comfortable and colourful. It's also full of personal artifacts.
Inside Amlan’s Workspace
- Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)
- Monitor: Dell Professional Series P2419HC 23.8"
- Tablet: iPad Air with Apple Pencil
- Chair: Featherlite Helix
- Earphones: Apple AirPods Pro
- Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM3
- Speakers: Bose SoundLink Revolve+(Series II)
- Clock: Casio Digital Wall Clock (ID-14-8DF)
- Plants: Snake plant and pothos
- Bookrack: Custom built
- Desk and Recliner: Urban Ladder
- Dog: Juno my adorable 8-month old puppy
- Apps: Notion for projects and bookmarks, DayOne as my daily journal, and Notes for stray thoughts.
What is your favorite item in your workspace?
My Bose speakers. I am always listening to music, whether to unwind, spark creativity or discover new artists. These speakers have stunning surround sound, and are easy to carry up to my terrace if I’m feeling like some fresh air. Likewise, the AirPods are great for phone calls, and the Sony headphones are ideal for deep work.
How do you spark creativity?
I read, listen or watch something that inspires me. Every morning I start my day with excerpts from my favorite books (using an app called Readwise). I go for an hour-long walk every evening and listen to a podcast or some ambient music to help new ideas marinate. Before bed I read a book or watch a documentary to learn something new.
How do you manage work-life balance?
I have a daily routine that blends my favourite activities with pockets of deep work — my ideal day. This combination helps me find peace, fun and purpose. I use the weekends to completely relax.