369 - Patrick Morgan
Patrick Morgan is a designer and the creator of Better by Design, a newsletter sharing pragmatic strategies and tactics for designing high-leverage software.
Over the course of more than a decade, he’s helped companies like Leo Burnett, American Express, and Fastly craft category-leading brand and software designs.
Inside Pat's Workspace
Pat was previously featured in edition #219 of Workspaces. This is his updated workspace in 2023.
- Autonomous SmartDesk Core
- Ikea ALEX drawers
- Apple Macbook Pro 14"
- Dell UltraSharp U2723QE 27" 4K Monitor
- Logitech bluetooth mouse & keyboard
- Apple Magic Trackpad
- Logitech C920e webcam
- Apple Airpods Max
- Yamaha HS5 speakers
- Shure SM7B microphone
- Fender American Stratocaster
- Taylor GS Mini acoustic guitar
- Roland RD-800 digital piano
- Substack - Newsletter publishing
- Figma - Design
- Notion - Workflow & databases
- Super - Publishing my personal website via Notion
- ChatGPT - Writing & coding buddy
- Loom - Recording video tutorials
- Readwise Reader - Saving articles for inspiration & note taking
- YNAB - Staying on top of my finances
What is the most useful item in your workspace?
The sit/stand desk. It keeps me moving, lets me clamp on things like my speaker stands and mic arm, and provides a nice amount of space to toss extra gear besides my computer when I need it. It's not sexy, but it's a workhorse, that's for sure.
What does your typical daily routine look like?
I'm currently taking a sabbatical from client work, so right now I just try to 1) make something (design, writing, music, etc...), 2) go for a run and enjoy the Southern California outdoors, and 3) spend some time with friends. It's an intentionally chill life, for the moment.
Coffee or tea?
Coffee. Though I started making my own half-caff blend to make sure my habit doesn't give me the jitters.