149 - Allan Grinshtein
Allan Grinshtein is a Product Designer at Netflix. He was previously a Product Designer at Facebook and was the Founder and CEO of LayerVault.
He also recently started a community for designers called Good News that is a great place for collaboration, news, inspiration and discussion.
Here's what's in my office:
- A 16-inch Macbook Pro and a 13-inch Macbook Pro
- Pablo Circa desk lamp
- A red Herman Miller Cosm chair
- LG Ultrafine 5K display with Good News up on the screen
- Tom Dixon Offcut Bench
- Muuto Compile Shelving filled with books and knick-knacks
- A rotation of posters, riso prints, weird layout sketches, and my son’s drawings
My tool stack is almost entirely:
What is your favorite item in your workspace?
A blue mug that my son made as a birthday gift.
How do you spark creativity?
Lots of output. Whenever they’re kind enough to pop into my head, I capture ideas in a doc or Figma or on paper. Sometimes I'll return later to massage ideas into a complete thought, but I’ve built up a pretty large graveyard of loose ends.
And espresso, of course.
How do you keep the work-life balance?
Having a wife and kid means that you can't always be at your desk. But I don’t have what you might call “work-life balance”. I don’t even like the idea of it. If I'm not with my family, I'm usually working.